Nikon AF-P Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR is a long-awaited successor of a popular full-frame zoom Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR from 2006.
The optical system of the new lens consists of 18 elements placed in 14 groups. Among them we will find one ED lens, whose task is to efficiently reduce chromatic aberration. The system is stabilized and, as the producer promises, the VR system's effectiveness will be around 4.5 EV. Image stabilization has two modes of work: normal and sports.
1). Nikon AF-P Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR
The autofocus has also undergone substantial changes. The new Nikon zoom uses a more advanced step motor (marked by the letter P), which is supposed to be quiet, precise and fast. The minimum focus distance is 47" (1.2m).
Inside the new lens, we will also find a 9-blade electromagnetic aperture which is to guarantee stable, automatic exposure adjustment – also during fast continuous shooting.
2). Nikon AF-P Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR Construction
Nikon AF-P Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR is more compact than its predecessor. The new construction's dimensions are 5 3/4in (146 x 81mm) and it weighs 680g. The lens is sealed and resistant to weather conditions. This may be of special importance while photographing outside.
Unfortunately, we don't know when the new lens is going to appear on sale, but we know its price. Nikon AF-P Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR will cost $700, which is a very attractive price since it is only $200 more expensive than its predecessor. And, as we already know, Nikon can surprise us when it comes to this aspect...
Below is the official press release:
MELVILLE, NY (July 11, 2017 at 12:01 A.M. EDT) – Today, Nikon announced the new AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR, modernizing this popular zoom lens with a myriad of the latest Nikon technologies. The new lens features enhanced Vibration Reduction (VR) image stabilization capability and integrates a stepping motor for fast and quiet AF performance, making it Nikon’s first full-frame AF-P lens. This new NIKKOR lens is a versatile, compact telephoto option for intermediate FX and DX-format photographers looking to capture sports, wildlife, candids, travel and other subjects at long distances, all with stunning clarity.
“This latest lens reaffirms Nikon’s commitment to giving FX-format shooters of all levels the unparalleled quality of NIKKOR glass, with the benefits of our latest optical technologies,” said Kosuke Kawaura, Director of Marketing and Planning, Nikon Inc.
Updated with the Latest NIKKOR Lens Technologies
Whether capturing a baseball game from the bleachers or the sights of a scenic vacation, the new AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR is a versatile lens that helps users capture sharp images and video, even in challenging light. The new AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm is lighter than its predecessor, despite packing new technologies that help those shooting photos and video achieve stellar results. Enhancements to the lens include:
- Improved Vibration Reduction (VR) System: The new AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm lens provides users with up to 4.5 stops* of VR stabilization, to help create sharp photos and smooth video, even in low light or while handheld. Users can choose from either Normal or Sport VR Modes for added stability when shooting from a non-stationary location.
- Lightweight with Stepping Motor Technology: This AF-P lens uses a stepping motor for fast and quiet autofocus, which reduces the sound of lens operation while recording HD or 4K UHD video. This new technology also contributes to the lens’ reduced weight, making it easy to carry on all-day excursions.
- Electronic Diaphragm: This lens takes advantage of the fast burst speed of Nikon DSLR cameras, as the Electronic Diaphragm not only provides smooth exposure transitions during video capture, but also helps maintain consistent exposure during high-speed shooting, such as when photographing sports.
- Get Close: The AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm lens features a minimum focus distance of only 3.94 ft. (1.2 meters) and a reproduction ratio of 0.25x, letting users get even closer to capture the most extravagant details, even at 300mm.
- Lens Construction: The lens features dust and drip resistance, along with a metal lens mount for durability. It features a 9-blade diaphragm for a natural, circular bokeh. The lens also features an ED element to significantly reduce instances of chromatic aberration.
Price and Availability
The Nikon AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR lens will have a suggested retail price (SRP) of $699.95**, and availability will be announced at a later date. For more information on this new NIKKOR lens as well as the latest Nikon products, please visit www.nikonusa.com.
*Based on CIPA Standard. This value is achieved when FX-format compatible lenses are attached to a FX-format digital SLR camera and zoom lenses are set at the maximum telephoto position.
**SRP (Suggested Retail Price) listed only as a suggestion. Actual prices are set by dealers and are subject to change at any time. Specifications, equipment and release dates are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.