Unlock the Secrets of Off Camera Flash: a Beginner's Guide! - Video

Martin Vronsky

• Members

In this video, I demonstrate how easy flash is to use off-camera. It's a beginner's guide. Learn the secrets in minutes!
A couple of weeks ago, I headed to a disused runway full of incredible old rusty military vehicles, including this remarkable Mig Jet. 
I knew the jet was at the location and I wanted to photograph it in a different way from the norm. As a Professional Photographer of 20 years, I have a passion for creative lighting, i.e. Off-Camera-Flash. This is why I decided to use this technique to show the Mig off in all it's glory.
Even though I was up against time, I thought I would create a "how to" guide so you guys can not only follow along but give it a go yourselves too.

Cheap Flash
I used a Yongnuo 560 MKIV Flash that I purchased brand new for £39 five years ago. I was surprised just how much these flashes have increased in price post-covid. They're still excellent flashes though!

Where is the runway and Mig?
I'll be making a few more videos from here in the coming weeks but please don't ask me where it is. The site is on an active military base in the UK. Being ex-RAF does have its perks I guess!
Thanks to Lee for an epic couple of days and to Martyn for the heads-up. 
Hope you enjoy the video
Gary