Sony FX3 Review (+ Comparison to Sony a7S III) - Video

Martin Vronsky

• 1 year later...
  • Members

By popular demand, Sony has just released a new firmware update version 3.0 for the FX-3. This update adds Cinema-Line features from the FX-9/FX-6, and a few of the popular Alpha features that the community has been asking for. 
Checkout my overview of all of the new features, including the all-new DCI 4K true 24P setting, and the highly desired focus breathing compensation from the FX-30.
You can download the FX-3 Version 3.0 firmware here: https://bit.ly/FX3v3firmware

• Members

Press release:

Sony Electronics Announces New Firmware Update for FX3 & FX30

The new firmware enables the cameras to shoot DCI 4K in true 24 fps, adds anamorphic lens desqueeze and breathing compensation to bring unified operability and common workflow to the Cinema Line

SAN DIEGO, CA –Today, Sony Electronics announced new firmware updates for the FX3 full-frame digital cinema camera and the FX30 Super 35 digital cinema camera, enhancing their features for cinematic storytelling and connectivity for film creators. Since its launch, the FX3 has become a popular tool for everyone from high-end feature films, television series and independent filmmakers around the world. Now, after feedback from the community, Sony is pleased to offer new updates to enhance high-end filmmaking. FX3 Version 3.00 and FX30 Version 2.00 include highly requested features such as the ability to shoot DCI 4K in true 24.00p (4096 x 2160)ii with new format XAVC S-I DCI 4K (17:9).

"The FX3 is a great companion to the VENICE in the filmmaking adventure. Its color rendering and accuracy equals its bigger sibling, the VENICE. I have used the FX3 on my last several shows and always find myself excited and pleasantly surprised. I’m looking forward to seeing what else it can do,” says Emmy award-winning cinematographer Checco Varese ASC.

In addition to true 24p, FX3 Version 3.00 and FX30 Version 2.00 now offer anamorphic lens desqueeze options of 1.3x and 2.0x while FX3 Version 3.00 now features focus breathing compensation. When used with compatible lenses iii, focus breathing compensation minimizes the shifts in the angle-of-view as the focus point shifts, with additional compensation available in post-production using Catalyst Prepare/Browse and the Catalyst Prepare Plugin. Other functionality has also been added to improve the camera’s ease of use, including the ability to switch from Standard Movie and S&Q Motion modes via the press of a button. File naming is now similar to our high-end CineAlta cameras such as the FX9, VENICE and VENICE 2, to ensure easy workflow, especially in projects where the FX3/FX30 is used as a B- or C-cam iv.

The new firmware update also features smartphone connection and integrates with Sony’s new Creators’ Cloudv platform for individual content creators. Creators’ Cloud provides services and optimized applications from shooting to collaborating with creators around the world. This Creators' Cloud platform also includes Creators’ App, a content transfer mobile application from camera to cloud.

Pricing and Availability

The new FX3 Version 3.00 and FX30 Version 2.00 update will be available on April 11, 2023, at 9pm PT. Filmmakers can easily download the update directly to their camera using a PC or Mac. More details can be found HERE.

i When de-squeeze is active, autofocus and image stabilization are disabled. This function cannot be assigned to a custom button or Fn menu. ii At 24.00p, proxy recording is disabled. When 24.00p is selected or deselected, the camera will automatically restart.

iii Compatible lenses are listed at: https://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/support/ilc/breathing/en/ Angle of view and imager quality may change slightly when this function is turned ON. Full compensation may not be possible with some lenses. This function is not available when shooting movies at 120p, when using the S&Q mode at 120p or when shooting stills.

iv The file name of the recorded movie becomes "Camera ID+Reel number+Cameraposition+File number+Date+Random” string.

v Availability will vary by timing, countries and regions. The service will be updated regularly.