Learn How to Use the Exposure Triangle in Under 15 Minutes to Master Manual Exposure Settings - Video

• Members

You could also think as this as a beginners guide or exposure for dummies

in this video today I’m going to explain exposure or what people have started to refer to as the exposure triangle. if you’e looked down at your camera and seen a bunch of numbers and didn’t really know what they were, then this video today will explain what how all of those numbers work together to create a photo that isn’t too bright or to dark and how each of them affect your photos.

Rough transcript:
Welcome everyone  This video is also for you if you know generally what the numbers are but don’t really understand how they impact your images. If you’re new to this channel please take a moment to like and subscribe and if you’’ve been here before and noticed I am talking little slower than normall, its because I want people to fully grasp the information. I learned about exposure during my first photography class in high school and my teacher Greg Wall Stevens, who had a huge impact on my life, taught exposure in fairly simple terms and I’m gonna share that with you today. There are three main things that we can adjust on out camera that affect the output of our images. Those three things are the aperture or f-stop the shutter speed, and the ISO. Your goal is to have all three of these things in balance to get a proper exposure. Instead of using the word balance, let’s use the word equal and that’s where the symbolism of the equilateral triangle comes in. But don’t worry about that so much right now, it will make more sense a little later. First I’m going to talk about what each of these 3 inputs is and how it affects the picture then I’m gonna talk about how you keep all three of them in balance and then you’ll understand at the end of this video how to properly expose your picture and how to make the right choices in order to get the image that you’re looking for.You’ll see these numbers when shooting in automatic modes, but you can start to change them and make smart decisions in aputure priority, shutter priority and manual for the M Setting. You might be able to set the ISO in any mode but more on ISO later. One thing to also keep in mind is that fully mechanical film cameras had a standard set of numbers for each of the settings and as technology changed you were able to make finer adjustments to the settings. But all the settings on modern cameras are still based on these old standard settings and numbers in-between. These standard numbers are referred to as full or whole or stops sometimes, but this will make more sense as we go.   F-stops: F-stops, often referred to as aperture, is the diameter of the opening of the back of your lens that lets the light pass through. These numbers dont appear to increase logically and that is because they represent the denominator in a fraction that describes the size of the opening.. A smaller f-number is a big opening that lets in more light, and a larger number is a small opening that lets in less light. Full f-stops in order from effectively brightest to darkest where each number left to right halves the volume of light passing through are 1.4, 2, 2.8 4, 5.6, 8, 11,16, 22. When you physically turned a ring on old lens to change the aperture is physically stopped or clicked at these numbers. Your camera will likely will let you adjust these numbers in 1/3 or 1/2 stop increments and some lenses can have f-stops that are smaller or larger than these numbers. Because of physics, the size of the opening changes how much of your image is in focus from the front to the back. This is knows as depth of field. A large opening, or small number will result in very little in focus, other than what’s you’re focused on. This is a very popular choice for outdoor portrait photography. So for instance if you shoot a at portrait at f2 with the lens focused on the persons face, everything else will be blurry and the blurry blobs in the background are referred to as the bokeh.