85mm vs 135mm Lens Comparison for Portrait Photography - Which Should You Buy? - Video

• Members

Hey Photographer! Jessica Whitaker here. In this lens comparison video, we will be looking at two popular prime focal lengths-  85mm and 135mm.

I teach from a simple and practical perspective. I want this video to help you choose what lens makes the most sense for you and your business, not left scratching your head. So by the end of this video, you’re empowered to choose what lens would be best for you, NOT left feeling more confused and overwhelmed. I shoot Canon but focus on the focal length rather than the specific branded lens. 

First, I will dive into the 85mm lens - often considered the ideal focal length for portrait photography. This lens excels at compressing distances, creating an incredibly shallow depth of field, and producing sharp, detailed images. However, its larger size and weight can make it more challenging to use for extended periods, and it might not be as adaptable in every shooting scenario. 

The 85mm is my favorite focal length, and I recently purchased mine from KEH after borrowing it for over a year. This lens is unnecessary as a first purchase, BUT it does an incredible job for portrait photography, especially for up-close portraits. It is razor sharp and can make your subject pop out because of how shallow you can get with the depth of field + focal length combo. Throughout this video, I’ll showcase sample images taken with both lenses, so you can see firsthand how each lens affects the final result. We'll also provide tips and advice on which lens might suit different photography styles and situations.